Ever since I can remember, I’ve been interested in Japanese culture.  The name of this blog: Sakura Memories goes along with my feelings for the country.   Sakuras/Cherry Blossoms are very ionic in Japan, but they have a very important meaning to me as well.  Due to all of the Sakura Blossoms in the Japanese related interests I have, it has become a symbol of how my love for Japanese culture began.  Therefore, these memories are the reasons I want to Travel to Japan. 

How I was introduced to Japan Culture:
When I was around 5 years old, I started watching a child based tv show called Hello Kitty (which a very famous Japanese figure).  During this time, a lot of Japanese shows started to appear on TV (at the time, I was too young to understand that they were Japanese).  Anime shows like Dragon Ball, Sailor moon and Card Captor Sakura were the anime (Japanese cartoon shows) that started by fixation with all things Japanese. 

After these shows ended, I started to watch more anime shows such as Pokemon, Digimon, Inuyasha, etc.  All of these shows were English dubbed, and it wasn't until High School that I started to watch the orginal Japenese episodes with English subtitles (much better!!).  It was also around this time I was introduced to my current number one anime/manga: Naruto.  Manga is the word used to designate any Japanese comics.  It was only a couple months later, that I was reading weekly manga updates on Naruto and others series. 

I was usually drawn to Shonen mangas, which is usually a ‘boy’ focused genre due to the amount of violence and action.  The most popular mangas internationally are Shonen (ex. Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach), and the subject matter varies widely going from super heroes to high school student adventures.  These types of action stories were always interesting to me since, in manga, heroes are usually naive and pure at heart.  Enemies, on the other hand, are evil but due to the hero’s influence they end ip revealing their good side.  In comparison, Western superhero comics, the good stays good and the bad stays and dies a bad! (I would know since I also read a lot of Marvel comics when I was younger...yes, I’m a nerd) 

Although manga started to become very popular, and sold in every bookstore, I never found anyone with the same interest as me (This could also be due to living in an area with no minorities...).  When I came to University, this all changed.  I met my roommate Alex, and it was awkward at first, since she was alittle hard to approach.  It wasn’t until I was reading my weekly naruto update (and trying in vain to hide it from her), that she snatched the computer and turned to me with a squeeled; “You read this too?!”  We then had an OMG moment, and became fast best friends. 

With another manga/anime fan, I had no need to hide it, and soon enough other anime lovers on my floor started to approach us.  Mansi and Lisa, were the next girls that I related to and made my love for Japanese culture grow more.  Mansi introduced me to my other favourite shonen manga: Bleach, and she soon started to introduce me to other shonen anime/manga.  Alex, on the other hand, only likes one or two shonen but loves her shojo mangas.  Shojo manga are directed to teenage girls and are best described as Japanese love focused soap operas in comic book form.  Before Alex, the only shojo genera I loved were Card captor Sakura and Sailor moon (although these have alot of action in them, more so then regular shojo manga).  Lisa was a little bit different in broadening my interest in Japanese culture.  She introduced me to Jpop (Japanese pop) and Jdoramas.  Japanese dramas, Jdoramas, are the interconnection of manga, anime, movies and music.  Most famous dramas are based on a manga, but many have original storylines.  These dramas are usually 10 episodes long, and can be best described as a mini-series or sitcom. 

After becoming friends with these girls, we had a dream to go to Japan together.  Before all of us turn 30, we would go to Japan, since it’s been a place that has been influencing us in so many ways since childhood.  It would be my final childhood dream, before I officially become an adult. 

Left to Right: Sakura blossoms, Bleach, Inyuasha, Card Captor Sakura, Naruto, 
Death Note, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Dragon ball, Vampire Knight, Hello Kitty 

Comments (0)